Friday, April 17, 2009

I DO NOT Want my own business

To be clear, I'm not knocking anyone who has their own business (i.e. p*mpered chef, etc). But, when I say I'm not interested, and don't want to be updated on business opportunities, I mean it.
Of course I will attend parties. I love some of the products I have and happily support my friends who sell it. But, I am a firm believer in the fact that when I say I'm happy with my career and don't want a side business I mean it. And if I tell you that over and over, seriously, move on.

So, today I received an e-mail. From a "friend" who has spent the last 2 years contacting me only in the hopes of making me a consultant. It's gotten more and more tacky and insulting. We used to get together as friends. Now if we want to hang out it is only at one of her many parties or open houses (to sell product). When Coco was born I got an e-mail saying congratulations and now would be the time to sell candles. Really?

But today was the icing on the cake when I received this e-mail: (edited by me)

--------------

I know you had some interest in the (Insert Company
Name) Opportunity, this month there is an extra $100 in product up for
grabs to add to the already amazing $500 starter kit that you can earn for
FREE!

Click here for more details.

Let me knwo
if you would like more information about the business
opportunity.

Also there is an opportunity to see (Insert
Company Name) office on Date at 7p.m. at our Regional Meeting where
you can also hear more about the opportunity, if you would like to join us and
receive a free gift for coming out let me know.

----------

So I responded.

Hi
Thanks so much for the business opportunities you've been presenting me
with.
At this point, I'm actually focused on pursuing my career in
communications. I was just promoted to the position of XXX!

I've been taking advantage of some amazing challenges and opportunities
through my career here at (My Company). It's great because, like you, as I've
progressed in my chosen position, I've been able to take advantage of some great
work-related programs

Actually, because I'm so excited by some of the great stuff that has been
going on here at (MY Company), I wanted to direct you to the
career opportunities (I put a link) here. There may be something
you would find exciting.

Again, thanks for thinking of me. If you are ever interested in
our careers (inserted another link) let me know!

You know, at this I'm done. I've said my bit and maybe she'll get my point. I think friendships are important, but when you hit the point where all you are is a bunch of dollar signs to someone I don't think the friendship is worth it. Do you?


4 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Wow... just... wow.

I can't believe that person. I would have tossed them a long time ago.

Steph said...

Love your response!

Badness Jones said...

Some of those companies are just like cults - one of my cousins was an Amway distributor for awhile, and it was all she could talk about. Was it a coincidence that we stopped talking until she stopped selling? Not so much. I love your response.

citygirl said...

I did the side business thing for about a year and hated the recruiting and pushy sales aspect of it so I never pushed it on people. Of course, that led to my failure but at least I still have friends!