Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Little Chub and a Few Tears

Yesterday was the baby's well-baby visit and more needles. She's almost 5 months, and I think these are the shots they do at 4 months. But, since she had an ear infection and then we had to wait a bit we're a little behind. No biggie.
Of course part of this visit is the usual height and weight check.
I'm not big on percentiles, but I do find them interesting - especially for comparison. Yesterday the baby was 15.5 lbs and 60 cm. According to my doctor that means she is in the 75th percentile for weight and the 25th percentile for height.
A little crazy! She's sooo my child. At this point in Doodle's life he was in the 90th percentile for height and weight.
He's now 80th percentile for height and 50th for weight. So who knows. And, while we were there yesterday Doodle got weighed. He's gained 5 lbs this summer! He's getting so big. He also grew 2 shoe sizes. He's going to be the biggest kid in jk!
But, back to the baby.
We've seen a couple of milestones this past week. The first is that her tiny bottom tooth is breaking through. She's been off a lot lately, and I didn't know why. That would be why. It too me by surprise because Doodle broke his first tooth on his first birthday. (I know - late). So even though I thought she was teething I thought I was crazy. She also figured out how to roll over and put her body into crawling position. It's pretty amazing.
I know babies all roll over and figure out crawling. It hardly makes her a genius. But, watching it all over again reminds me how amazing it is to watch a baby develop. I sometimes think I was so sleep deprived and "off" with Doodle that I didn't really appreciate all of his milestones. With the baby it's a huge deal. And I'm loving it.
But, the other thing I'm doing with the baby is letting her cry just a bit when I put her down for naps. Here's another comparison thing. (I don't generally compare my kids, but today I am). Doodle never had a regular nap time. I tried. It didn't happen. With my princess I've noticed that she wants to sleep around 9 am and again at around 1 or 2. So, I'm trying the whole method where I feed her and then when she's clearly tired but not quite asleep I bring her to her crib and lay her down. She usually cries a bit. I rub her tummy, make sure she's calming down and then I leave. AND SHE FALLS ASLEEP!
I know. Amazing!
Doodle and I then use that time for us to play with toys or read or even watch tv together. It's taken us 5 months, but I think, my friends, I've established a routine!

1 comment:

AndreAnna said...

Routine is our friend! :)