Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday Night Dinner


I sware this isn't a cooking blog.
But, so much of my life these days is trying to make our lives healthier that a lot of my mental energy is spent on planning out healthy meals. But, I want to not only make meals that are healthy, I want them to taste good so that we all enjoy them.
On Saturday we went to a wedding which was wonderful. And I was inspired by the yummy appetizer salad they served. It had strawberries and almonds and mandarin oranges. So, I ran with that. And, then I thought we should try bbqing shrimp because shrimp is really low calorie and I love bbq shrimp.
And, since there's nothing I love more that sharing my creative efforts with people we invited my parents over to try out our dinner.
The result was pretty successful. It was delicious.
Doodle has been helping me in all of my culinary efforts. Today we made banana muffins (delish!) and he was right in the putting all the ingredients in.
At dinner he was washing all of the veggies and setting the table. He even helped me make the salad dressing. And the more that he helps the more excited he is to try out the various foods that we make.
We didn't give him any of the shrimp. I'm not sure if he would have liked it, but we just introduced him to veggie dogs, and he was really excited to have veggie dogs with his healthy salad.
Tomorrow I'm taking him to an osteopath. Our naturopath recommended it to us to help with the hyper-acitivity (though the lack of nitrates and refined sugar has made a huge difference.). I'm really excited to see how this all works out and if it actually makes a difference for him.

Phat Daddy and I have been talking about how I'm embracing all of this. I realize that I've gone completely overboard on this healthy bandwagon. As far as bandwagons go, it's a pretty good one to be on. But in all honesty I think a huge part of it is that I really struggle with staying at home. I see some of the super moms out there and don't feel terribly successful. But, I think this has given me something to run with and succeed at. And so far so good.

This week, though, I need to make sure to journal his food and mood. I've been really neglecting that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That dinner looks tasty! When can I come over?!! My fav salad right now is a little twist of yours. Mixed greens, strawberries, feta cheese, red onions and cashews. It's so friggin good. Of course it's better when my mom makes it! And strawberry season is right around the corner which is awesome!
Anyway, good idea on getting Doodle to help you out more. I should try that with Linds since she has turned really picky!