Monday, June 2, 2008

The Elimination Begins

After a visit last week with our amazing naturopath (more on that later) and a week of slowly getting rid of the junk in our diets, we're starting a full out elimination diet in our house this week.
I know it sounds brutal, but we're attempting to cut out wheat, dairy, eggs, tomatoes & additives out of our diets, specifically Doodle's diet.
It actually sounds harder than it is. Because I'm on mat leave and home with the kids all day I have a lot of control over what Doodle eats. I also have the time to prepare the foods that are kind of replacement foods. And, since it's summer there is a lot more yummy fruit and veggies in the store (and my child could survive on fruit, I think).
We did a bit of a test run last week. Both Phat Daddy and I were a little surprised by the results. Doodle has been happier and calmer. We've had meltdowns and temper tantrums, but generally Doodle is able to snap out of them pretty quickly.
We have been supplementing his diet with a special shake that is full of vitamins and minerals (and he loves it) so we know that he is getting the nutrition he needs.
The goal of this week (and the next 2 weeks) is to see what kind of a change eliminating all of that stuff will make in Doodle's life. I keep a food/mood diary which will be examined by our naturopath and once we have some ideas on what foods he may have an allergy to then we are doing testing.
Tonight is also my first weight watchers weigh in. Lucky me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Luck, I hope it works out. I have to admit that since your party I've been thinking a lot about this. Lindsey's skin has gotten so bad these last two weeks and her eyes have totally puffed up but only on some days. I'm pretty sure that she's got some allergy to something outside but I don't even know how to go about finding a good naturopath.