Thursday, July 31, 2008

Weaning

I've been thinking a bit about weaning the baby.
She's 4 months old, and I'm going back to work when she's 10 months. In that time I would like to slowly wean her to a bottle and nurse only at night. The reason for this? I know it will be hard enough to go back and I don't want to spend my last few weeks at home dealing with the emotional turmoil of weaning.
And she seems to have a stubborn streak.
The girl seems to hate formula.
Doodle hit the same point. Except with him I kept nursing until he was old enough to eat and to drink milk. But, I still nursed a lot. And by the end I didn't enjoy it.
With this baby I'm loving it. It's easy and it's bonding and it hasn't been a struggle. So maybe I'm pushing it a bit. Or maybe not. Who knows. I'm not really stressed about it so much as I am thinking about it.
Yesterday I made a bottle and was attempting to give it to her. She was not having any of it, and Doodle was watching and trying to help. I turned to him and asked what would make the bottle more appealing to her.
His response?
"Just give her some chocolate milk, Mommy. And if she doesn't like that I can finish it for her."
Excellent advice.
Except as much as I would love to take it, I have visions of my daughter rejecting that bottle and my 4 year old son newly addicted to a bottle.
Fun times!
I think we'll just keep persisting with the bottle. I've still got lots of times, and if all else fails, chocolate milk it is.
Just kidding!

2 comments:

LoriD said...

Not one of my kids would take a bottle. I got all kinds of advice (like have someone else give it to them), but they just refused. I went back to work at 8 months with Lisa and just sent her to her caregiver with bottles and lots of food. Within a week she would take the bottle from the caregiver and I continued to nurse at night. Good times!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Chocolate milk--that's hilarious! I love Doodles idea :)

Weaning is difficult, particularly if Mommy isn't ready to do it.

Make whatever decision feels right to you!