Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What's In a Name?

Doodle has lots of nicknames.
Of course we call him Doodle (derived from Monkey Doodle). We also call him Monkey, Love Bug, Sweetie, Dude, and I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of.
The point is we often refer to him by one of his nicknames. It just happens. All of these names have come from somewhere, and they are so commonly used by Phat Daddy and I that we don't even notice we're using them.
But right now the baby doesn't have a nickname.
That's not entirely true. I've been so obsessed with princess stuff before she was born that many of my friends call her "the princess". It's not an insult or anything it just is what it is. And I kind of like it. But, when I call her Princess it sounds like I'm talking to a cat.
So, at this point we're still trying out the terms of endearment.
Yesterday she was crying and I said to her "it's okay, Sweetie."
Doodle came up to me and said "Wait just a second. I'm your sweetie. Why are you calling her Sweetie?"
I said he was right, and if he wanted he could choose a name to call her.
He thought about it for a really long time and finally he came up to me and said "I know, Mommy. Let's call her our little p*nis."
He meant it with the most kindness possible which is why I thought it was adorable. But ... we're still working on a nickname.

2 comments:

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Hehe!
That is hilarious!
With the bunny, we called her everything under the sun, but a few common ones stuck! I have started to really only call her bunny and doll because I don't want to repeat nick names. It's hard!
My FIL insists on picking one nickname for each grandchild and I really like the names he picks....I think before we announce our gender, I"m going to pick mine first this time!

Unknown said...

Penis, princess pretty close isn't is? LOL Just kidding! Your kid totally cracks me up!!