Friday, May 2, 2008

At Least We Got a Playdate out of It

Yesterday was Doodle's first day at home with me. He finished daycare on Wednesday.
In typical type-A fashion I planned a full day. It combined all sorts of fun stuff including a trip to Ikea, a doctor's visit for the baby, a haircut at Doodle's favourite place and then pictures with his cousins.
Okay, yes it was a little much, but I had confidence in my new SAHM skills.
It was all going so well until the doctor visit. You know, the well-baby visit that takes 10 minutes.
Not so much.
Our "well-baby" visit turned into a panicked trip to the ER after spending an hour at the doctor's office.
One minute everything was fine. The feedback was positive, the baby is gaining weight, etc etc. And then I asked about her tummy. It seemed rather bloated to me. The correct term, as I have learned, is distended. And, either she was totally fine or she was really sick. The doctor (whom we have now seen weekly, and who Doodle professed his undying love to yesterday), told me that she would really rather I see a pediatrician as soon as possible.
In the end everything is fine.
It truly was just a whole lot of gas. We're giving her Ovol and burping her a lot. But, we only found this out after 2 doctors saw her and she had a stomach x-ray. I was actually remarkably calm throughout the experience. And Doodle? He was amazing. He listened. He behaved. He sang Twinkle Twinkle every time the baby cried. Every.single.time! At the top of his lungs. But, hey. That's far better than him having a meltdown or running away. And who doesn't love Twinkle Twinkle? (answer: the nurse helping us yesterday).
But, while I was waiting for the x-ray I was sitting with a mother who I recognized. Our sons were in daycare together, and got along really well. We lost touch, but when we met at the x-ray lineup we decided to get our boys together for a playdate.
So, the whole day wasn't lost.
And as for the pictures. Well, I got the ones I needed done today, and we'll go for the cousin pictures next week.
Personally, I'm a little tired. Okay. Exhausted. It's a LOT harder being a SAHM to a 4 year old than it is to a newborn. I think next week we need to set up some sort of routine. As Doodle said to me today, it's his second day of staying home from daycare, and he hasn't actually been in his home.


Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Sounds like you are settling in really well. I am so glad that she is just fine, that must have been really scary for you.
Have a wonderful week!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Wow! That must have been super scary. Glad she is ok.

citygirl said...

That must have been so scary! TG she's ok :)