Monday, February 18, 2008

Ready for a Princess

What did we do for Family Day? We got ready to welcome our baby by decorating both the nursery and the hallway.
On Saturday, while Phat Daddy painted the nursery, which included having his dad out last weekend to hang wainscotting, I decided to tackle the hallways. I realized that I will likely be spending a fair bit of time in my bedroom when the baby first arrives, and the horrible 1980's hospital green was going to do me in.
So, our hallway is now, the colour of vanilla ice cream, as my mom so accurately described it.
These are halls before, and after, thanks to the help of my parents.
Both of my parents (Mom above and Dad below) and my sister enjoy painting. I hate it. In fact, after I did the primer and started the 1st coat my family decided that I would be much better suited to making coffee and minding the child. I agree. The finished colour is the one below - it looks white, but it's more cream.
Of course, the other really important thing htis weekend was finishing the nursery. When we moved here it was a very pale pink. The colour wasn't bad, but considering it was smelly and smoky and dirty we really needed to start from scratch.
As you can see, the blinds were also not doing so well.
So...
Phat Daddy did the painting and my sister did all of the linens. This afternoon was pretty cool because while I stayed downstairs with the kids, my sister and Phat Daddy worked incredibly hard to make this nursery into the princess nursery I knew I wanted since I heard I was having a baby girl. (sorry, but by the time the room was done it was dark).

We still have to do a few things like get a diaper genie and set up the change table, but the main part is done. My sister sewed all of the stuff: the curtains, the canopy on the crib, the bumpers and the quilt and painted the picture over the dresser.
This is the crib - with the beautiful quilt. I'll take more pictures. Do you like the crown pillow? Our theme is princess. And, don't worry. I know that you have to be careful with bumpers and pillows - this is for effect.
I think I'm in love with the canopy over the crib. I keep looking at it and smiling.
And, finally the dresser. My sister painted the picture. I just love it. I've started the little shoe collection - it's never too early! And, we even have the baby's picture. It's one from the 3D ultrasound.

As for the rest of the weekend ...
While Phat Daddy did some manual labour on the room this morning, I gave Doodle's room a good cleaning. I did a lot of sorting. We're not ready to re-do his room, but I figured he also deserved a nice room.
I'm tired!

11 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Sounds exhausting but the room looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

The canopy is absolutely glorious! But so is the rest of the room! Jan from Beautiful Baby Nursery Contest

LoriD said...

I love it! The linens are gorgeous... what a talented sister you have!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, it's beautiful!! Great work!!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Oh, WOW! The baby's room looks beautiful! I love the linens....the drapes...the wainscotting! Beautiful!!!! Now, you need a weekend of rest, eh?!

SciFi Dad said...

That room looks beautiful, Miss P.

citygirl said...

WOW I love it!! I clicked on the shoe/picture photo just to check out the shoes :)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Love, love, love the canopy! the room looks so fab! Just gorgeous. Yay!

Amy said...

Its gorgeous!!!!! OMG I can hardly wait to see it! :)
Loveing the shoes, we'll have to work on that though, that's not nearly enough shoes LOL

Anonymous said...

I bet you're tired! Whew! Well done you... and everyone else who helped of course.

Lesley said...

The room is gorg! Love the canopy - fits the princess theme to a tee.