Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Only Doodle!

Yesterday afternoon Doodle and I went to meet his new doctor. I have been on the hunt for a local doctor for our new baby, and since Doodle's doctor is the same as mine, and she's in Toronto, I decided that both children should have a doctor in our home town.
The purpose of yesterday's visit was a "meet and greet".
I've never done this before. And, I thought it would be such a good mommy move to let my son meet his new doctor.
Ha.
From the moment we arrived Doodle was in full Doodle form. He was thrilled to be there, and had about a million questions about doctors, his body and everything else you could imagine. Part of the excitement was that I had picked him up directly after nap at daycare, so he was full of energy!
So, we filled out a million forms and then they brought us to the examining room.
Doodle wanted to look at everything.
He's always been fascinated by doctor's tools, but since he's been extra interested in the human body this room was fascinating to him. He wanted to know what every.single. tool did. And, it's not like I know. I mean, I could figure out some stuff, but other stuff ... who knows.
Suddenly he climbed under the examining table and I have no idea how he did it, but he managed to make the foot part of the table LAND ON HIS EYE.
The blow knocked him over and he landed backward on his head grabbing his eye.
And, the shriek. I'm not sure if it was from pain or shock or both but he was in my lap in about 2 seconds, crying hysterically.
Once I calmed him down a bit I took a look at his eye. The poor kid's eye was cut, red and swollen. And, he was a little afraid that he was in trouble for breaking the table.
Just as he was calming down in walked the doctor.
There wasn't that much she could really say. She glanced at her sheets and then confirmed that we were only here for a meet and greet.
Anyway ...
It went just fine. Doodle was subdued thanks to the injury, and the doctor kindly looked at his eye and declared it a good match for the giant bruise on his forehead. (apparently she has dealt with many 4 year old boys)
I think I'm the only parent who brings her child to the doctor completely healthy and leaves with her child sporting a black eye.
I think 4 is going to be a very interesting year!

6 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Poor Doodle!

Hopefully, it heals up nicely. Either that, or he'll look like Rocky for a while.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Poor guy!
But, were YOU happy with the doctor? It's so good to have a local doctor, especially when kids are sick. Good for you.
We had a horrible meet and greet once too--so bad that we wanted to get up and leave part way through the meeting, but felt it was a bit too rude.

Karen MEG said...

Okay, you totally have your hands full LOL!
Your last paragraph just cracked me up! At least he was already seing the doctor. Talk about being proactive ... good on ya mommy!!!

Don Mills Diva said...

Aww - the poor little guy. Vute that he's so fascinated by doctors - better start saving for med school!

Amy said...

Poor Doodle! Give him a hug for me!

But, oh lord, that really is kinda funny when you think about it, I mean, good planning on yours and Doodle's parts, pre-plan the injury to happen at the best possible place! :) It doesn't get any better than that.

LoriD said...

Way to make a great first impression! I like the doctor's reaction though... that would have sealed the deal for me right there!