Monday, January 28, 2008

And he vaccuums ...

Four years ago when I knew I was having a son, I made some plans. I decided that no matter what, my son was going to grow up to be a man who was responsible.
Of course I wanted a child who is kind and loving, but I also wanted to have a son who is more than happy to share in the household duties. I have good examples for my son to model himself after. My father has always shared household duties with my mom. My husband usually is in charge of dishes and loves his vaccuums.
My plan has always been to just encourage Doodle to do stuff right along with us. He brings his plate to the kitchen like we do. He is awesome at making Shake 'n Bake chicken. He sort of sets the table. You get the picture.
Tonight when Phat Daddy and I were loading our new dishwasher Phat Daddy asked Doodle to tidy up his toys. We continued on checking out all of the features when we heard the vaccuum going. We walked into the living room, and in 5 minutes flat he had not only cleaned up all of his toys, he had vaccuumed the living room carpet.
Seriously.
It was pretty impressive.
Yesterday when I was at Shoppers I picked up some Method Cleaning Wipes. Since the child had very little aim at the potty I figure that I'm going to make it a fun little job to clean up all the little drips!
Someday my future daughter-in-law will be thanking me.
I just have to figure out how to get him to clean his room.

6 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Yay for you! If this kid is a boy, his wife will thank me too, because there isn't any way I'm raising a man who thinks that there are still gender roles in 2000s.

Kerry Johnson said...

Hey - send him here! I need to vacuum. You know what works for us? That chore chart that your sister mentioned to you! Riley loves to put the magnets on the squares - no other reward needed!

Don Mills Diva said...

Wow - that is impressive. I have a feeling I have a little neatnik on my hands too. He comes and gets me and leads me to any bit of food that has been dropped or spilled.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

That's awesome!

And, you are right! Your future daughter in law will thank you--a million times over!

SciFi Dad said...

I don't think my grandfather even knew how to turn on a vacuum.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Yay! What a great kid:)
My four year old got tired of the mess in our house today. He started making trips from the family room where all the clean laundry was on the couch, to his room with armfuls of his clothes and then he put them in the correct drawers!
Later he helped me clean his room, he was so excited about it!