Friday, January 18, 2008

A Little About my Spine

I understand that everyone may not find my spine terribly interesting, but I do.
Here's the thing. Almost four years ago when I gave birth to Doodle I had a forceps delivery. It was not pleasant. My tailbone was fractured and I was in a lot of pain for a really long time.
This time around I'm having a c-section. A huge part of this decision was due to the fact that both my family doctor and my ob are unsure whether or not childbirth could cause my tailbone to get injured again. (though the fact that this baby is breach and large are also contributing factors).
And, as my pregnancy has gone on my tailbone has started to hurt. Thankfully the excuciating pain that I remember is not present. But, still ... the pain is there and I don't want to get the excruciating pain back.
So, my ob sent me to physio and I went last night.
This was the most fascinating experience EVER.
I'm not into biology, and though I have always wondered about my tailbone, there was never a time to ask the questions I had. Until last night.
So, here's the picture of a human spine.
If you look at it fairly closely you can see that at the very end of the spine there is a sort of triangular piece right there at the very bottom. Do you see it? The bottom triangle there is the tailbone, and the bottom little piece is the piece that, in my case, cracked off. (obviously not completely since I still have it). So, this is kind of what my tailbone was looking like. (on the left).
And, since I really just kind of left things alone and didn't do anything, and there isn't really too much to do, it did eventually heal, and though now it hurts I've been pretty lucky for the past few years that it has gotten better.
But, last night it was fascinating to me to actually touch a lifesize plastic spine and fully understand the concept of why I've been in pain.
Anyway, the good news is that there is also a solution to all of this. I'm not getting some adjustments and exercises to avoid the pain. How exciting!
I realize this is probably the most boring thing I have ever written, but really, to me, it's fascinating!

6 comments:

LoriD said...

I do find this interesting. I think everyone has injured their tailbone at least once and the pain is excrutiating. I can't imagine actually fracturing it.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Actually, I find this very interested as well. My tail bone constantly hurts me. I have a slight curvature to my spine! Glad you are able to do something to help relieve the discomfort.

Don Mills Diva said...

I actually find this interesting as well. I had a lot of problems with my tailbone during pregnancy and it was my greatest fear that it would fracture during delivery...

Jenn said...

Ouch that does not sound fun! D:

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I am a geek, but I find it fascinating as well! I am a little obsessed with my spine, I have mild scoliosis and I need to go to physio and have them teach me the best way to strengthen my back to keep it as pain free as possible.

AndreAnna said...

If it gives you any hope, Charlotte was breech, and flipped herself at like 32 weeks - talk about a weird feelng! It was in the middle of the night, and I felt like I was kicked in the stomach by a ninja!