Sunday, January 27, 2008

Juno, Vampires and Peace

If I could describe this weekend in on word it would be peace.
Sure the weekend was hectic. Actually, when I think about how much we squeezed into this weekend I'm surprised we got everything done.
But, despite the fact that our house is still kind of messy, we all look a little tired, and I feel like I need another day added to the weekend it was great.
On Saturday morning I went for another 3D ultrasound. I went about 8 weeks ago for a gender assessment, and found I was having a baby girl. (yippee!) But because I was only about 20 weeks along, I decided I needed to book another more complete screening. It was booked for Saturday. I spent an hour, with my family and a friend looking at images of the baby in my stomach.
It was a truly incredible experience. I've felt so anxious this pregnancy, and to get the reassurance that everything looks okay was pretty wonderful. We got to see some smiles and yawns. It was amazing.
I'll post pictures, but I need to crop out all of the personal information first. And, honestly, even though the pictures are pretty amazing it's not quite the same as being there and seeing your baby move around.
Saturday evening we dropped Doodle off at my sister's house for a sleepover and then we went out for dinner and a movie. It was incredibly nice to sit for a quiet dinner at Milestone's (a restaurant Phat Daddy designed) and have an actual adult conversation. We talked a bit about Doodle, a bit about the baby and a lot about just us - work, life, house, etc.
And then we watched the movie Juno.
It was an absolutely incredible movie. I wasn't sure that I would really enjoy it. But, I'd heard such good things that we decided to go. It was an excellent choice. And, it kind of put a lot of stuff into perspective. I feel like I've been so busy trying to make our house perfect, our lives perfect, manage pregnancy, run to doctors appointments over my lunch hour and pretend that I can handle it all - when all I really want is to sleep.
So guess what? Instead of waking up this morning and going cleaning crazy I slept in. Okay I got up at 7, but it sure beat 5 am. And when I got up I had some breakfast and then sat and read. and read. and read.
I've become completely obsessed with the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Phat Daddy thinks it's hilarious because I'm reading books about Vampires and Werewolves. But, I don't care. I love love love these books! My friend lent me the first one which I spent a week reading on the train all week. And, when I finished it on Friday I insisted on going to Chapters to get the next book in the series (breaking my new year's resolution not to spend so much $ on books). I fully anticipated taking a week to read this one too. Ha.
I started it Friday night. Had about 100 pages read by last night, and finished the 2nd book of the series today. By about 4 pm I gave up my plan to find the last book at the library and headed back to Chapters to buy book number 3. Not only did I pick up my book, but I bumped into my sister and a friend and had a few minutes to sit and chat.
It's been a long time since I've just spent most of the day reading and it was wonderful.
And in the middle of all of that ... Doodle and I decided to have a little nap together while Phat Daddy went to pick up our new dishwasher (which he is attempting to install). I rarely get a chance to see Doodle peaceful and quiet, but today he was just that. And, when I woke him up from his nap we just hung out in my bad chatting about life.
It's those moments, these days that will matter a whole lot more than the fact that I didn't actually sort the clothes I had every intention of sorting today. Today I'm accepting that our Sunday dinner is frozen pizza from the grocery store, not a roast. And, instead of trying to get some last minute cleaning done tonight I'm going to have a nice warm bath and just appreciate the fact that I have a family who loves me, a kid who is pretty amazing and house that will survive even if there are toys strewn across the living room floor.
And, with all of that I have an overwhelming feeling of peace.

2 comments:

Kerry Johnson said...

I'm so glad you feel at peace - the best place to be! That was the book I was thinking of - knew it as soon as I saw the author's name. Was great to run into you today - wish I could have stayed longer!

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing fabulously well at 7 months. I'm glad you gave yourself a break. I'm ready to paint the baby's room whenever you are ready!
You are looking so good these days - something I meant to tell you yesterday. And watching your baby girl smile, yawn and move yesterday was the BEST gift. Thanks to you, Mike and Matty for sharing her with your dad and me on a very special day.